Last weekend we did a bunch to the hive including adding frames, moving frames up, using a medium box as a feeder box and I'm so happy with how it's looking. Luis, Mike and new beekeeper Greg worked the hive.
We removed the feeder box where the comb had been sucked dry of nectar but there was a bit of capped honey still there that they were still transfer but we didn't want to leave the empty box there too long. They had already attached the dish to the frames!
We looked through both deep boxes to see if they were building any new comb and we were surprised to find that they had built almost a whole frame and started on another. And that was in just a week in the middle of the hottest time of the year, also called the dearth but here in an urban environment with people irrigating there is still a great deal of forage.
We saw bees coming in with a bunch of pollen but it didn't seem common and there wasn't much stored pollen. We'll probably leave them along for the next month and come back for the new schedule of South 40 mentoring at 8am First Saturdays. We want to start earlier to make sure that we don't disturb the bees when gardeners are working. Thanks to all the supporters. - roberta